Saturday, March 20, 2010

botanical harmonies



For the past few years, I have been focusing my personal macro photography directions in a slightly new direction–the colorful and bold world of Botanicals. I have to admit this is almost an entirely new subject matter for me as I had limited knowledge of so many species of plants and how similair they are to each other and the environment in which they thrive. But after two years of visiting just about every public Botanical Garden and Arboretum in Ohio, I have gained a much better understanding and appreciation vast variety of species that surround us and make this planet just bit more beautiful throughout the seasons and keep ecosystem in balance.


In the next few weeks, I will be presenting six colors groups that represent some of best varieties of what I have experienced throughout the seasons in Ohio. Plus a little insight to some of the universal meanings and symbolism each color. The first series begins with variations green and ends with variations white.


So let’s begin the with the color most associated with the Spring Equinox. The cool color of green can very well represent vast array of meanings depending on the shade or tonality. Some of the most common denoted are: nature, harmony, stability, balance, growth, health, healing, calmness, renewel, vigor, fertility, generosity, posterity, eternity, inexperience, misfortune, jealousy, greed, and envy.



botanical harmonies • green



This entire series is dedicated to my mother–Donna McClelland for her unconditional support of my work over the years.